You have just read in the previous section that there are many types of STIs that are widespread and can be easily transmitted through unprotected oral, vaginal and anal sex. It is in your best interest to protect yourself. To do this, using a condom is essential.
In theory, putting a condom on is simple. In practice, however it can be different. The packaging of the condom does not always open easily; you may unroll the condom on the wrong side, etc.
The best way for a man to get used to condoms, is to use a condom a few times during masturbation. The idea is not to always masturbate with a condom, but to do this a few times to give yourself a chance to get comfortable with a little bit of latex.
To use a condom correctly
- Check the expiry date on the package of the condom. If the expiry date has passed, throw it out.
- Check to see if there is air in the condom package. If there is no air, there is a good chance that the condom is damaged. Throw it out and take another one.
- Open the package with care, from the middle. Do not use your teeth or scissors to open it.
- Take the condom by the tip (closed tip). Ensure that it is on the right side: the edge to unroll needs to be on the outside.
- You can put one or two drops of lubricant on the inside of the condom, which will make it more comfortable and increase your sensation.
- Pinch the closed tip of the condom to let out any air before unrolling the condom on the penis. This step is very important and often neglected. If you don’t do this it can often cause a break in the condom. If there is air that stays in the tip of the condom, the condom can burst.
- If you are not circumcised, pull back the skin that covers the head of the penis until the penis head is well exposed.
- Put the condom on the head of the penis, while still pinching the tip of the condom, and slowly unroll the condom to the base of the penis.
- If you think you have done it wrong, take the condom off and start with a fresh and new one.
- Use water-based lubricant on the outside of the condom for vaginal and anal penetration. This will cause less friction and reduce the risk of the condom breaking. And it feels really good.
- After having ejaculated, pull out immediately (slowly). Take the condom from the base of the penis (the round side) while pulling out to ensure that it doesn’t fall off in your partner’s vagina or anus. And pay attention so that nothing spills out while you are taking it off.
Best Practices from Worker’s Across Canada
- Using a condom will allow you to explore your sexuality without worry and totally let yourself go. It also creates less mess.
- Do not keep condoms in your pockets, your wallet or other places where there is risk of movement or heat exposure that may result in damage
- Pay attention to rings, nails, and body piercings while you handle a condom.
- Never use a condom twice.
- Do not use one condom on the top of another. This can cause friction and increase the risk of breakage.
- Non-lubricated condoms and flavoured fruit or mint condoms are ideal for oral sex.
- If you use non-lubricated condoms for penetration, put a water-based lubricant on the outside.
- Do not use fruit or mint-flavoured condoms for vaginal or anal sex; the flavouring they contain may cause irritation.
- Oil-based lubricants can seriously damage condoms and should not be used. Also, DO NOT use the following oil-based products as lubricants: Vaseline, topical creams, kitchen oil, massage oils, and hand creams.
- The base of the penis is wider than the top, so a condom can roll up. To prevent rolling up, use a cock ring over the condom at the base of the penis. If a cock ring is not available, you can also break another condom and leave it rolled up, then use it as a cock ring.
- Use lube on the outside of condom and a tiny bit in the tip on the inside to prevent the condom from breaking. Too much lube on the inside of the condom can cause it to slide off.
- The oil in lipstick can weaken a condom.
- When applying the condom, do a visual exam of other person (discreetly)- do while playing, as foreplay.